next version of poi

Anuyaa muley
Hello,

It would be helpful to know when would be next release or approx release cycle schedule for the apache poi library ? We are planning to upgrade the library from 4.0.1 to the latest version.
Looking at the change log it seems that poi can release in as little as 3 months. Knowing the release cycle it would be helpful to plan the upgrade, as we would want the latest version.

Change log - http://poi.apache.org/changes.html#4.1.1

Thank you,
Ankita

Re: next version of poi

kiwiwings
Hello Ankita,

> Looking at the change log it seems that poi can release in as little as 3 months.
This was the plan once ... currently our committer base is a bit ... busy somewhere else, I guess.
So usually we wait for enough changes to accumulate or if we discover/fix a regression to be provided soonish.
Although most part of rolling the release is scripted and a matter of executing a few commands, we and Tika always run a regression test on a big corpus, which also consumes some time.

So if there's a specific change which you are depending on, you can always ask nicely for a new release - but currently I don't see the need to push out releases every three months.

Best wishes,
Andi

On 26.11.19 19:40, Anuyaa muley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It would be helpful to know when would be next release or approx release cycle schedule for the apache poi library ? We are planning to upgrade the library from 4.0.1 to the latest version.
> Looking at the change log it seems that poi can release in as little as 3 months. Knowing the release cycle it would be helpful to plan the upgrade, as we would want the latest version.
>
> Change log - http://poi.apache.org/changes.html#4.1.1
>
> Thank you,
> Ankita

Re: next version of poi

Anuyaa muley
Thank you Andi for the information.

What would be your best guess as to when the next version is expected to be released ?

Thank you,
Ankita

On 2019/11/27 21:30:06, Andreas Beeker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Ankita,
>
> > Looking at the change log it seems that poi can release in as little as 3 months.
> This was the plan once ... currently our committer base is a bit ... busy somewhere else, I guess.
> So usually we wait for enough changes to accumulate or if we discover/fix a regression to be provided soonish.
> Although most part of rolling the release is scripted and a matter of executing a few commands, we and Tika always run a regression test on a big corpus, which also consumes some time.
>
> So if there's a specific change which you are depending on, you can always ask nicely for a new release - but currently I don't see the need to push out releases every three months.
>
> Best wishes,
> Andi
>

> On 26.11.19 19:40, Anuyaa muley wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It would be helpful to know when would be next release or approx release cycle schedule for the apache poi library ? We are planning to upgrade the library from 4.0.1 to the latest version.
> > Looking at the change log it seems that poi can release in as little as 3 months. Knowing the release cycle it would be helpful to plan the upgrade, as we would want the latest version.
> >
> > Change log - http://poi.apache.org/changes.html#4.1.1
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Ankita

Re: next version of poi

kiwiwings
Hello Ankita,

I'm currently trying to get rid of some code smell blockers [1], i.e. kind of a cleaning phase before we do a release. I also see some work done on the XDDF / chart area, but I don't know if Alain is working on bigger changes there.

My guess for the release would be by the end of January.

Andi

[1] https://sonarcloud.io/project/issues?id=poi-parent

On 18.12.19 22:24, Anuyaa muley wrote:

> Thank you Andi for the information.
>
> What would be your best guess as to when the next version is expected to be released ?
>
> Thank you,
> Ankita
>
> On 2019/11/27 21:30:06, Andreas Beeker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Ankita,
>>
>>> Looking at the change log it seems that poi can release in as little as 3 months.
>> This was the plan once ... currently our committer base is a bit ... busy somewhere else, I guess.
>> So usually we wait for enough changes to accumulate or if we discover/fix a regression to be provided soonish.
>> Although most part of rolling the release is scripted and a matter of executing a few commands, we and Tika always run a regression test on a big corpus, which also consumes some time.
>>
>> So if there's a specific change which you are depending on, you can always ask nicely for a new release - but currently I don't see the need to push out releases every three months.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Andi
>>

>> On 26.11.19 19:40, Anuyaa muley wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> It would be helpful to know when would be next release or approx release cycle schedule for the apache poi library ? We are planning to upgrade the library from 4.0.1 to the latest version.
>>> Looking at the change log it seems that poi can release in as little as 3 months. Knowing the release cycle it would be helpful to plan the upgrade, as we would want the latest version.
>>>
>>> Change log - http://poi.apache.org/changes.html#4.1.1
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Ankita

Re: next version of poi