getCellType and getCellTypeEnum

polatalemdar
Can you explain what should we use if both of them are deprecated?

In fact I need to check if some cell is empty. I can not get string value.
says it is numeric but I know that the cell is empty.

Since zero is not a sentinel value for me, reading the content of a cell
numerically and getting 0 doesnt mean that it is empty for me.
User can enter 0.

Any ideas how to check?

BY the way: CONGRATULATIONS TO THE specific developer who made both of the
functions deprecated. I believe no one is using this library lively. I will
stop using it for ever once I fix that.

Re: getCellType and getCellTypeEnum

Nick Burch-2
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, polatalemdar wrote:
> Can you explain what should we use if both of them are deprecated?

Did you read the full deprecation notes in the javadocs for the version
of Apache POI you are using? That explains what is happening, and what to
do in the mean time

Alternately, grab a nightly build of Apache POI, and you can use the
post-breakage Enum-returning getCellType with no warnings!

> BY the way: CONGRATULATIONS TO THE specific developer who made both of
> the functions deprecated. I believe no one is using this library lively.
> I will stop using it for ever once I fix that.

Blame the people who wrote the Java language specification - because of
how Java treats changes to return types on methods, and the limited
deprecation + change semantics, it's really the only way to warn people
that the change is coming

Re: getCellType and getCellTypeEnum

polatalemdar
http://poi.apache.org/apidocs/

Can you show me what is the description of the deprecation and what
alternative we can use in this documentation?
I couldnt find it.

regards

I am using 3.15 and I think even the version I use dont have even a javadoc
as the website that I shared doesnt state that enumtype is deprecated.

OK whatever...

how can I check if a field is empty?

Re: getCellType and getCellTypeEnum

Nick Burch-2
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, polatalemdar wrote:
> http://poi.apache.org/apidocs/
>
> Can you show me what is the description of the deprecation and what
> alternative we can use in this documentation?

The website always shows the latest javadocs. As such, it shows the new
Enum-returning version as not deprecated, as the change has happened

> I am using 3.15

You need to check the javadocs for 3.15 - they come with the binary
download, or can be feteched from Maven