Quantcast

creating PPT using Java

ATE1
I need to generate powerpoint presentation. The presentation has different kinds of graphs (bar graphs, line graphs) which should be editable once the ppt is delivered.(So can not use images).

I tried using apache poi for the same, but it doesnot support editable charts and graphs.Kindly help me

Re: creating PPT using Java

Yegor Kozlov
What exactly do you mean by "editable" charts? If you mean MS Graph object - it is not yet supported.
However, it is possible to draw a chart. This way it will be a native ppt shape. You can resize, ungroup, do any
standard operations on ppt shapes, etc.

See slide10() in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/src/scratchpad/examples/src/org/apache/poi/hslf/examples/ApacheconEU08.java

Some time ago a user reported using PPGraphics2D with JFreeChart, http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/.

Yegor

> I need to generate powerpoint presentation. The presentation has different
> kinds of graphs (bar graphs, line graphs) which should be editable once the
> ppt is delivered.(So can not use images).
>
> I tried using apache poi for the same, but it doesnot support editable
> charts and graphs.Kindly help me

Re: creating PPT using Java

ATE1
Editable means once it is delivered the customer must be able to do modifications.
Yegor Kozlov wrote
What exactly do you mean by "editable" charts? If you mean MS Graph object - it is not yet supported.
However, it is possible to draw a chart. This way it will be a native ppt shape. You can resize, ungroup, do any
standard operations on ppt shapes, etc.

See slide10() in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/src/scratchpad/examples/src/org/apache/poi/hslf/examples/ApacheconEU08.java

Some time ago a user reported using PPGraphics2D with JFreeChart, http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/.

Yegor

> I need to generate powerpoint presentation. The presentation has different
> kinds of graphs (bar graphs, line graphs) which should be editable once the
> ppt is delivered.(So can not use images).
>
> I tried using apache poi for the same, but it doesnot support editable
> charts and graphs.Kindly help me

Re: creating PPT using Java

ATE1
The approach you have proposed seems workable, but what client requires is a Powerpoint presentation which will be directly mailed to his location. So, there wouldn't be any communication with the server once the ppt is generated. help me in this..

ATE1 wrote