corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

Carl Buxbaum
Hi,

I am getting the message “Excel could not open … because some content is unreadable … " If I choose to recover the file, I do not get any detail about what was fixed, and the file looks exactly the same as the one opened in Open Office.  We are using poi 3.18 to generate the file.  Perhaps someone can tell me what is wrong with the attached file?

Thanks,

Carl Buxbaum

Senior Software Architect

17 Rogers Street

Gloucester / Massachusetts / 01930 / USA

1-978-515-5128

Bamboo Rose

The only B2B marketplace powered by proven trade engines.

www.BambooRose.com

Join Bamboo Rose for STARS 2017, our user conference in Boston this October! Register Today!

Make Retail. Fun. Connected. Easier. Smarter. Together. Better.

DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Results (2).xlsx (9K) Download Attachment

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

pj.fanning
The most recent version of POI is 3.17 beta1.

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

pj.fanning
The xlsx file is a zip with XML files in it. I unzipped up your xlsx but didn't see anything obvious.
Maybe, you would be able to have a look yourself.
The .rels XML link to other XML files and maybe it's worth checking to see if there are relationships that are not valid (pointing to missing files, etc).

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

Carl Buxbaum
Thank you.  I had not realized that it was a zip file.  I was able to
generate another, non corrupt version from a different platform,
presumably with the same code.  The difference is that the corrupt version
has the DOS CTRL-M ^M cr lf after a number of lines, especially the xml
header.  What in the environment of poi would cause that OS default return
character to be inserted?

www.BambooRose.com <http://www.bamboorose.com/>

Join Bamboo Rose for STARS 2017, our user conference in Boston this
October! Register Today!
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stars-2017-bamboo-rose-user-conference-ticket
s-31684750943>

On 7/6/17, 1:55 PM, "pj.fanning" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>The xlsx file is a zip with XML files in it. I unzipped up your xlsx but
>didn't see anything obvious.
>Maybe, you would be able to have a look yourself.
>The .rels XML link to other XML files and maybe it's worth checking to see
>if there are relationships that are not valid (pointing to missing files,
>etc).
>

>--
>
>________________________________
>
>DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are
>confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
>sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without
>making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this
>email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
>recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

________________________________

DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

Hm, sounds strange, in POI, the XML is created rather deep down in the
library itself and should not be affected by Windows/Linux newlines. Can
you share some code how exactly you create the file? Just to see you don't
do anything unusual.

Also which exact version of Java are you using here? i.e. output of java
-version?

Thanks... Dominik.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Carl Buxbaum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you.  I had not realized that it was a zip file.  I was able to
> generate another, non corrupt version from a different platform,
> presumably with the same code.  The difference is that the corrupt version
> has the DOS CTRL-M ^M cr lf after a number of lines, especially the xml
> header.  What in the environment of poi would cause that OS default return
> character to be inserted?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl Buxbaum
> Senior Software Architect
> 17 Rogers Street
> Gloucester / Massachusetts / 01930 / USA
> 1-978-515-5128
>
> Bamboo Rose
> The only B2B marketplace powered by proven trade engines.
> www.BambooRose.com <http://www.bamboorose.com/>
>
> Join Bamboo Rose for STARS 2017, our user conference in Boston this
> October! Register Today!
> <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stars-2017-bamboo-rose-user-
> conference-ticket
> s-31684750943>
>
> Make Retail. Fun. Connected. Easier. Smarter. Together. Better.
>

> On 7/6/17, 1:55 PM, "pj.fanning" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >The xlsx file is a zip with XML files in it. I unzipped up your xlsx but
> >didn't see anything obvious.
> >Maybe, you would be able to have a look yourself.
> >The .rels XML link to other XML files and maybe it's worth checking to see
> >if there are relationships that are not valid (pointing to missing files,
> >etc).
> >

> >--
> >For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >________________________________
> >
> >DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are
> >confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
> >sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without
> >making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this
> >email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
> >recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.
>

> ________________________________
>
> DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
> sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without
> making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this
> email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended
> and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

Carl Buxbaum
Hi, Here attached are the struts action and the helper class.  In my own
environment, where it works properly, I am using tomcat with jdk1.8.0_60
on a Mac.  In one of the environments where it creates the corrupted
excel, we are on WebSphere on Windows, running java 1.8.

More information about the circumstances.  It is different than what I had
mentioned earlier.  I had assumed that the difference in the files with
the linefeeds was the cause but it does not seem that it is:

If I create a ³corrupt² excel, unzip it, and then zip it back up (on my
mac using zip command), the resulting zip file opens without issue.  If a
colleague on Windows generates the same excel, and does the same  probably
using windup, the corruption remains.

On 7/6/17, 4:34 PM, "Dominik Stadler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
>sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without
>making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this
>email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
>recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.
________________________________

DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

Carl Buxbaum-2
Hmm, for some reason my attached files did not make it into the thread.  Is there a UI where I can attach them?

Thanks,

Carl

On 2017-07-10 11:11 (-0400), Carl Buxbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
> >recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.
>
> ________________________________
>
> DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

If I create a ³corrupt² excel, unzip it, and then zip it back up (on my
mac using zip command), the resulting zip file opens without issue.  If a
colleague on Windows generates the same excel, and does the same  probably

Please check if you see a difference with zipinfo:
See below [1] - for your "Results (2).xlsx".

I think there was something with the compression method,
i.e. not all compression methods might be supported -
also defN = "deflate normal" sound like a default compression.
IIRC there's also a file in our test-corpus with some strange compression method,
which poi can't open.

Hmm, for some reason my attached files did not make it into the thread.  Is there a UI where I can attach them?
Just open a ticket in the bugzilla: https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=POI&component=XSSF Andi [1] $ zipinfo Results2.xlsx Archive: Results2.xlsx Zip file size: 6744 bytes, number of entries: 11 -rw---- 2.0 fat 596 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 _rels/.rels -rw---- 2.0 fat 1195 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 [Content_Types].xml -rw---- 2.0 fat 184 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 docProps/app.xml -rw---- 2.0 fat 441 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 docProps/core.xml -rw---- 2.0 fat 131 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 xl/drawings/drawing1.xml -rw---- 2.0 fat 138 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 xl/sharedStrings.xml -rw---- 2.0 fat 3601 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 xl/styles.xml -rw---- 2.0 fat 350 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 xl/workbook.xml -rw---- 2.0 fat 574 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 xl/_rels/workbook.xml.rels -rw---- 2.0 fat 22610 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml -rw---- 2.0 fat 303 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02 xl/worksheets/_rels/sheet1.xml.rels 11 files, 30123 bytes uncompressed, 5226 bytes compressed: 82.7%

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

Carl Buxbaum
Thank you.  I think the difference is that my local environment on Tomcat is using the Oracle JVM, while the environment where this is an issue is using the IBM JVM.  So the zip implementation must be different.

I will go ahead an open up a bug ticket.

Carl Buxbaum
Senior Software Architect
17 Rogers Street
Gloucester / Massachusetts / 01930 / USA
1-978-515-5128

Bamboo Rose
The only B2B marketplace powered by proven trade engines.
www.BambooRose.com<http://www.bamboorose.com/>

Join Bamboo Rose for STARS 2017, our user conference in Boston this October! Register Today!<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stars-2017-bamboo-rose-user-conference-tickets-31684750943>

Make Retail. Fun. Connected. Easier. Smarter. Together. Better.

From: Andreas Beeker <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Monday, July 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM
To: POI Users List <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Subject: Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

http://www.info-zip.org/mans/zipinfo.html

[...]

Robert Cochran
Hi, does it make a difference that the Results2.xlsx file contains a
drawing1.xml? With the understanding that I myself am just learning how to
use the POI to generate Excel workbooks and sheet data.

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Carl Buxbaum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> -rw----     2.0 fat      574 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> xl/_rels/workbook.xml.rels
> -rw----     2.0 fat    22610 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml
> -rw----     2.0 fat      303 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> xl/worksheets/_rels/sheet1.xml.rels
> 11 files, 30123 bytes uncompressed, 5226 bytes compressed:  82.7%
>

> ________________________________
>
> DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
> sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without
> making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this
> email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended
> and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

Javen O'Neal-2
Sounds like this is a difference in incompatible zip library
implementations. POI uses java.util.zip.ZipFile, for which the JVM provides
the implementation.

There may be some hints that POI can provide to the JVM to get compatible
files on IBM Java. If not, this may be a bug in the JVMs not confirming to
the same zip spec.

wrote:

> [...]
> -rw----     2.0 fat      574 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> xl/_rels/workbook.xml.rels
> -rw----     2.0 fat    22610 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml
> -rw----     2.0 fat      303 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> xl/worksheets/_rels/sheet1.xml.rels
> 11 files, 30123 bytes uncompressed, 5226 bytes compressed:  82.7%
>

> ________________________________
>
> DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
> sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without
> making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this
> email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
recommended
> and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Re: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

I'm not sure what the reference to "IBM JVM" really means in this context.
If one means "The Java Virtual Machine that runs under IBM System Z on a
z-Series mainframe", then character encoding issues to and from EBCDIC
could be a problem. IBM's Tier 1 implementation of the JVM (under Unix
System Services) is natively EBCDIC. It is just another possibility,

Thanks

Bob

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Javen O'Neal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > -rw----     2.0 fat      574 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/_rels/workbook.xml.rels
> > -rw----     2.0 fat    22610 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml
> > -rw----     2.0 fat      303 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/worksheets/_rels/sheet1.xml.rels
> > 11 files, 30123 bytes uncompressed, 5226 bytes compressed:  82.7%
> >

> > ________________________________
> >
> > DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are
> > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
> > sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without
> > making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this
> > email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
> recommended
> > and is the responsibility of the recipient.

RE: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

Murphy, Mark
I believe that the JVM still uses Unicode internally. I believe character data is probably converted when the string is created. I know that on IBM i, I do not have to do anything special to EBCDIC character data, and POI documents are written correctly.

> [...]

> > -rw----     2.0 fat      574 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/_rels/workbook.xml.rels
> > -rw----     2.0 fat    22610 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml
> > -rw----     2.0 fat      303 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/worksheets/_rels/sheet1.xml.rels
> > 11 files, 30123 bytes uncompressed, 5226 bytes compressed:  82.7%
> >

> > ________________________________
> >
> > DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are
> > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
> > the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it
> > without making copies or using it in any way. No representation is
> > made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus
> > scanning is
> recommended
> > and is the responsibility of the recipient.

RE: corruption in xlsx spreadsheet generated by poi?

IBM JVM refers to IBM's implementation  of the jvm. They have their own complete write of the jvm, probably derived from openjdk.  As such, they have their own implementation of java.util.zip classes.  on WebSphere, the default jvm to use is theirs. To use the Oracle jvm, one has to install and specify it.

Carl

________________________________
> [...]

> > -rw----     2.0 fat      574 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/_rels/workbook.xml.rels
> > -rw----     2.0 fat    22610 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml
> > -rw----     2.0 fat      303 bl defN 17-Jul-06 10:02
> > xl/worksheets/_rels/sheet1.xml.rels
> > 11 files, 30123 bytes uncompressed, 5226 bytes compressed:  82.7%
> >

> > ________________________________
> >
> > DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are
> > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
> > the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it
> > without making copies or using it in any way. No representation is
> > made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus
> > scanning is
> recommended
> > and is the responsibility of the recipient.

B�KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCB��[��X��ܚX�KK[XZ[�\�\�][��X��ܚX�P�K�\X�K�ܙ�B��܈Y][ۘ[��[X[��K[XZ[�\�\�Z[�K�\X�K�ܙ�B