Writing content in ttf code128

Luiz Antonio Falaguasta Barbosa - CNPTIA

Hi,

I need to create a spreadsheet and write one of its columns in ttf code128. This spreadsheet (with data from DBMS) will be used in a direct mail, into Word, to generate tags based on data from the spreadsheet.

1. Can I use POI to do that?

2. Do I need to create the spreadsheet as a .xls file or can I create a .csv file?

3. Do I need to install ttf code128 in the webserver where I will have Java code that create the spreadsheet with data from DBMS?

Regards, Luiz Antonio Falaguasta Barbosa System Analyst at UMiP GenClima
Embrapa Agricultural Informatics (CNPTIA)
Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation (Embrapa)
Campinas - SP [hidden email]
http://lattes.cnpq.br/5524528660042920
Phone: +55 (19) 3211-5843
https://www.embrapa.br/informatica-agropecuaria

Aviso de confidencialidade

Esta mensagem da Empresa  Brasileira de Pesquisa  Agropecuaria (Embrapa), empresa publica federal  regida pelo disposto  na Lei Federal no. 5.851,  de 7 de dezembro de 1972,  e  enviada exclusivamente  a seu destinatario e pode conter informacoes  confidenciais, protegidas  por sigilo profissional.  Sua utilizacao desautorizada  e ilegal e  sujeita o infrator as penas da lei. Se voce  a recebeu indevidamente, queira, por gentileza, reenvia-la ao emitente, esclarecendo o equivoco.

Confidentiality note

This message from Empresa  Brasileira de Pesquisa  Agropecuaria (Embrapa), a government company  established under  Brazilian law (5.851/72), is directed exclusively to  its addressee  and may contain confidential data,  protected under  professional secrecy  rules. Its unauthorized  use is illegal and  may subject the transgressor to the law's penalties. If you are not the addressee, please send it back, elucidating the failure.

Re: Writing content in ttf code128

just to recap:
a) you want to email a .docx file to your clients
b) this .docx file contains a .xlsx file as an embedded document
c) this .xlsx contains cells with barcodes formatted via a code128 font

Regarding c):
My guess is you need to set the barcode string as text value of a cell and set the style for the barcode font.
check http://poi.apache.org/components/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html for the basics.

Regarding b)
I haven't found a tutorial on how to embed other office documents on a quick view, but this is definitely possible. Usually I re-engineer a sample document by unzipping it and checking the contents of the various files.
It helps if you compare the contents before and after you've added the .xlsx.
POI gives you access to the various files either via low-level OPC API (see org.apache.poi.openxml4j.opc.OPCPackage) or via some high-level document based API (see http://poi.apache.org/components/document/quick-guide-xwpf.html)

Regarding a)
Out-of-focus for here - but Apache Commons Email is your friend

So regarding your questions:
1) yes
2) how would a .csv contain information about a font? (rhetorical question)
... so you need either .xls or .xlsx or some other style-able format
3) if you intend to call XSSFSheet.autoSizeColumn then yes, otherwise no

a bit off-topic: if embedding the .xlsx is too much hassle, I would simply add an additional email attachment containing the .xlsx ...

Andi

On 06.03.19 18:14, Luiz Antonio Falaguasta Barbosa - CNPTIA wrote:

> I need to create a spreadsheet and write one of its columns in ttf code128. This spreadsheet (with data from DBMS) will be used in a direct mail, into Word, to generate tags based on data from the spreadsheet.
>

> 1. Can I use POI to do that?
>

> 2. Do I need to create the spreadsheet as a .xls file or can I create a .csv file?
>

> 3. Do I need to install ttf code128 in the webserver where I will have Java code that create the spreadsheet with data from DBMS?

Re: Writing content in ttf code128

Luiz Antonio Falaguasta Barbosa - CNPTIA

Thanks Andreas.

I got to do what I need yesterday, looking here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21156461/get-inputstream-forom-apaches-poi-workbook/21157326

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34154003/taking-long-time-to-generate-excel-file-using-poi

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30026819/write-excel-sheet-using-apache-poi

Atenciosamente, Luiz Antonio Falaguasta Barbosa
Embrapa Informática Agropecuária (CNPTIA)
Embrapa Brasil eira de P e squisa Agropecu ária ( Embrapa)
Campinas - SP

[hidden email]
http://lattes.cnpq.br/5524528660042920
Fone: +55 (19) 3211-5843