[VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC2)

kiwiwings
Hi *,

I've prepared artifacts for the release of Apache POI 3.17 (RC2).

The most notable changes in this release are:

- Various modules: add sanity checks and fix infinite loops / OOMs caused by fuzzed data
- OPC: fix linebreak handling on XML signature calculation (#61182)
- SS Common: fix number formatting (github-43/52, #60422)
- SXSSF: fix XML processing - unicode surrogates and line breaks (#61048, #61246)

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/3.17-RC2/

I'll add the summary to the change log on releasing the artifacts.

Please vote to release the artifacts.
The vote keeps open for 72hrs, 2017-09-01, 23:59 UTC,
planned release announcement date is Monday, 2017-09-04.

Here is my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC2)

Greg Woolsey
I would like an RC3 (sorry, I know this is a fair bit of work) to pick
up r1806623
fixing bug 61468, as I consider that a rather serious calculation bug, and
will likely cause a couple months' delay in my attempts to get
Vaadin-Spreadsheet updated to use the new conditional formatting and table
style APIs I've added to POI.

I won't vote -1 yet, though. If others need this released now, I'm open to
a conversation about the timing of a 3.18 release.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM Andreas Beeker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> I've prepared artifacts for the release of Apache POI 3.17 (RC2).
>
> The most notable changes in this release are:
>
> - Various modules: add sanity checks and fix infinite loops / OOMs caused by fuzzed data
> - OPC: fix linebreak handling on XML signature calculation (#61182)
> - SS Common: fix number formatting (github-43/52, #60422)
> - SXSSF: fix XML processing - unicode surrogates and line breaks (#61048, #61246)
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/3.17-RC2/ <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/3.17-RC1/>
>
> I'll add the summary to the change log on releasing the artifacts.
>
> Please vote to release the artifacts.
> The vote keeps open for 72hrs, 2017-09-01, 23:59 UTC,
> planned release announcement date is Monday, 2017-09-04.
>
> Here is my +1
>
> Andi

Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC2)

Javen O'Neal
Github-69 would be worth reviewing and committing if we're going to do an
RC3.

On Aug 30, 2017 10:44, "Greg Woolsey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like an RC3 (sorry, I know this is a fair bit of work) to pick
> up r1806623
> fixing bug 61468, as I consider that a rather serious calculation bug, and
> will likely cause a couple months' delay in my attempts to get
> Vaadin-Spreadsheet updated to use the new conditional formatting and table
> style APIs I've added to POI.
>
> I won't vote -1 yet, though. If others need this released now, I'm open to
> a conversation about the timing of a 3.18 release.
>
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM Andreas Beeker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi *,
> >
> > I've prepared artifacts for the release of Apache POI 3.17 (RC2).
> >
> > The most notable changes in this release are:
> >
> > - Various modules: add sanity checks and fix infinite loops / OOMs
> caused by fuzzed data
> > - OPC: fix linebreak handling on XML signature calculation (#61182)
> > - SS Common: fix number formatting (github-43/52, #60422)
> > - SXSSF: fix XML processing - unicode surrogates and line breaks
> (#61048, #61246)
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/3.17-RC2/ <
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/3.17-RC1/>
> >
> > I'll add the summary to the change log on releasing the artifacts.
> >
> > Please vote to release the artifacts.
> > The vote keeps open for 72hrs, 2017-09-01, 23:59 UTC,
> > planned release announcement date is Monday, 2017-09-04.
> >
> > Here is my +1
> >
> > Andi

Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC2)

sorry, I know this is a fair bit of work
The plain release candidate creation is 3 lines of shell commands.

The common-crawl tests are, as far as I understood Dominik, also quite automated.

I would object, if we would commit something big like #61469 just before release.

So +1 for having #61468 in 3.17.

If no-one minds, I would create RC3 tomorrow evening.

Andi

On 8/30/17 7:44 PM, Greg Woolsey wrote:
[...]

I'd like to see something like the array formula support run through the
regression suite and common-crawl before we put it out there, as I suspect
there are a lot of variations to the syntax, some of which may cause things
like NPEs or other unexpected behavior.  Rather than push a big change and
see what happens, I'd like to see if we can pick up some additional unit
tests from existing files first.

I'd also prefer it not cause a delay in 3.17 to do those things and handle
any additional cases that pop up out of that testing.

That said, I'm excited to see that additional support, but think it would
be best to do that in 4.0 or a theoretical 3.18, where there is time for
test builds, more testing, and comments before baking it in.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 1:01 PM Andreas Beeker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry, I know this is a fair bit of work
>
> The plain release candidate creation is 3 lines of shell commands.
>
> The common-crawl tests are, as far as I understood Dominik, also quite
> automated.
>
> I would object, if we would commit something big like #61469 just before
> release.
>
> So +1 for having #61468 in 3.17.
>
> If no-one minds, I would create RC3 tomorrow evening.
>
> Andi
>

> On 8/30/17 7:44 PM, Greg Woolsey wrote:
>
> I would like an RC3 (sorry, I know this is a fair bit of work) to pick
> up r1806623
> fixing bug 61468, as I consider that a rather serious calculation bug, and
> will likely cause a couple months' delay in my attempts to get
> Vaadin-Spreadsheet updated to use the new conditional formatting and table
> style APIs I've added to POI.
>
> I won't vote -1 yet, though. If others need this released now, I'm open to
> a conversation about the timing of a 3.18 release.
>
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM Andreas Beeker <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi *,
>
> I've prepared artifacts for the release of Apache POI 3.17 (RC2).
>
> The most notable changes in this release are:
>
> - Various modules: add sanity checks and fix infinite loops / OOMs caused by fuzzed data
> - OPC: fix linebreak handling on XML signature calculation (#61182)
> - SS Common: fix number formatting (github-43/52, #60422)
> - SXSSF: fix XML processing - unicode surrogates and line breaks (#61048, #61246)
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/3.17-RC2/ <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/3.17-RC1/> <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/3.17-RC1/>
>

> I'll add the summary to the change log on releasing the artifacts.
>
> Please vote to release the artifacts.
> The vote keeps open for 72hrs, 2017-09-01, 23:59 UTC,
> planned release announcement date is Monday, 2017-09-04.
>
> Here is my +1
>
> Andi

RE: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC2)

Allison, Timothy B.
I’ll run regression tests at least against our .docx tonight to make sure I didn’t wreck anything with 61470.

RE: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC2)

Allison, Timothy B.
I ran the regression tests against docx, and I'm finding no problematic new exceptions. We are extracting some new text in the phonetic/ruby runs (great!).  However, I am finding some duplication of content within textboxes(? may be other sources ?).  I need to figure out if this is at the POI level or the Tika level.

Reports are here:
http://162.242.228.174/reports/poi-3.17-rc2-docx.tar.gz

I’ll run regression tests at least against our .docx tonight to make sure I didn’t wreck anything with 61470.

Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC2)

Greg Woolsey
Wouldn't shock me to find out it is at the XML level - Word saving the same
text in two different ways under the same parent would be completely within
my jaded expectations.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:37 AM Allison, Timothy B. <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I ran the regression tests against docx, and I'm finding no problematic
> new exceptions. We are extracting some new text in the phonetic/ruby runs
> (great!).  However, I am finding some duplication of content within
> textboxes(? may be other sources ?).  I need to figure out if this is at
> the POI level or the Tika level.
>
> Reports are here:
> http://162.242.228.174/reports/poi-3.17-rc2-docx.tar.gz

My fault...fixed in 61475.

wrote:

> I ran the regression tests against docx, and I'm finding no
> problematic new exceptions. We are extracting some new text in the
> phonetic/ruby runs (great!).  However, I am finding some duplication
> of content within textboxes(? may be other sources ?).  I need to
> figure out if this is at the POI level or the Tika level.
>
> Reports are here:
> http://162.242.228.174/reports/poi-3.17-rc2-docx.tar.gz

Via not in...

wrote:

> I ran the regression tests against docx, and I'm finding no
> problematic new exceptions. We are extracting some new text in the
> phonetic/ruby runs (great!).  However, I am finding some duplication
> of content within textboxes(? may be other sources ?).  I need to
> figure out if this is at the POI level or the Tika level.
>
> Reports are here:
> http://162.242.228.174/reports/poi-3.17-rc2-docx.tar.gz

I will postpone the release of RC3 until Saturday evening -
I think it doesn't hurt to saddle the code 1-2 days.

Btw. as the voting for Java8 and POI 4.0 was so smooth, I'll use [1] as a reference for our
upcoming change.

I.e. I assume we go for POI 4.0 next and use Java8, because Tika will also go this way soon.

Andi.

[1] http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/Discussions-on-POI-4-0-Java7-8-voting-td5728560.html

Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 3.17 release (RC2)

The re-run on rev 1806843 looks good, only 38 failures compared to 3.15,
all of them similar to what we saw in the previous runs, mostly stuff that
is newly tested/implemented now.

Thanks... Dominik.