VCS lost a file, or should I keep release-notes.txt

VCS lost a file, or should I keep release-notes.txt

Vladislav Galas
Hello devs,
from the beginning:

I work with git svn. Everything seems ok except one strange thing:

after I fetched the repo, src/documentation/RELEASE-NOTES.TXT was missing (but git / svn didn't report it as missing).

I found it out when jenkins task failed reporting that the file was missing. It was strange but I just copied the file from pure svn clone so that jenkins succeeded.

In one of my latest commits https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1852251 I accidentally actually added the file. It was committed ok, without conflicts. If that's fine, let it be. Otherwise, I'll revert the addition.

Perhaps the git-svn fetch with short revision range is to blame, although it's really weird that it didn't deliver the latest snapshot...

Best regards,
Vlad

Re: VCS lost a file, or should I keep release-notes.txt

src/documentation was actually an external svn reference to

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/site/src/documentation

So yes, probably an incomplete git-svn fetch may have missed that directory
for you locally.

You should revert that change and re-add the external reference so the
documentation is still linked there correctly, otherwise documentation
packaging will not work for the next release.

When I run with git-svn locally, I manually add a symbolic link to a local
checkout of that svn-repo.

Dominik.