Reference testing of HSSF/XSSF

Vladislav Galas
If I get it right, HSSF and XSSF reflect the two standards of Excel workbook: "Excel 97" (till Office XP/2003) and "Excel 2007" (Office 2007+). They have different internal layout, number of sheets/columns (SpredsheetVersion contents) etc.

If I want to test POI behavior against Excel, does the file format (.xls/.xlsx) completely define the standard? I.e. is it possible that an .xls file with formulas (let's say the functions are supported in Excel 2003) behaves differently in Excel 2003 and Excel 2007+? In other words, is it safe to test behavior of HSSF/.xls in Office 2007+?

Re: Reference testing of HSSF/XSSF

kiwiwings
> In other words, is it safe to test behavior of HSSF/.xls in Office 2007+

Although I'm developing mostly for slideshows, I would say using only a current Office version is ok for testing. For certain features - like encryption - I've also tested my code with older versions. So usually I only test my code with Office 2016 (reading/writing) and if the test corpus (reading) breaks, I investigate where the differences are.

We have 2,5 test corpus - there's an integration test which tests all files in the POI repo,
and Dominik and Tim testing on a large common crawl / govdocs corpus before we release.