POI 3.14 fails to read an excel file

Sateesh K Kolusu
Hello all - Good day.  I have a requirement to read an excel file with the
cell range.  I see a strange behavior where the file fails to read but it
succeeds when the excel file is opened and saved. The customer claims the
file is created in Excel 2010. I am using POI 3.14

My questions
1) Have you encountered this kind of of behavior with excel file and
reading before.
2) How do we cross check the source of creation ( Office 365 Excel 2019
Excel 2016 Excel 2013 Excel 2010 Excel Starter 2010, Apache open office)
and its  compatibility with POI.
3) Does "open and save an excel file" convert the file to be compatible to
read?

Any other information that you feel so is appreciated.

---
Thanks
Sateesh

Re: POI 3.14 fails to read an excel file

Andreas Reichel
Sateesh,

to me that sounds like a challenge with the Zip64.
If my memory does not fail me, POI-3.18 has gotten a proper Zip64
implementation based on commons-compress with an important fix in POI
4.1.1.

My recommendation is: try POI 4.1.1 first. There were so many API
changes since 3.14 that using 3.14 now would be a dead end in anyway.

Possible workaround: Unzip and rezip the file using the (Unix/Linux) OS
commands, then read with POI.

Best regards
Andreas