General Support for Percentage Values?

Eliot Kimber
I need to extend the options for setting table widths.

Per the spec, a table's width can be an absolute measurement, a percentage value, or the keyword "auto".

Right now XWPFTable.setWidth() only takes an integer.

I'd like to extend it to take in addition a percentage value or the value "auto" (which I suppose conceptually is an enumeration with one possible value).

There doesn't seem to be a class that represents a percentage value (at least I couldn't find any declarations with the string "perc" in them.

Am I missing something for working with percentage values in the XWPF API?

Thanks,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

Re: General Support for Percentage Values?

Eliot Kimber
(This is in the context of setting the width on XWPFTable.)

I decided that the best (and simplest) approach would be to use strings to set the width value for "auto" and percentages, rather than creating a separate class that would just end up creating a percentage string anyway. This also matches the way the API is likely to be used, e.g., getting percentage value strings from some incoming source.

So I added a new setWidth(String widthValue) method to XWPFTable() which validates that it's a good value ("auto", an integer, or a percentage) and then if it's good, sets the value appropriately.

I also created a new method, getWidthDecimal(), to return the width value as a decimal (because percentages can be decimal values).

Using this test case:

        XWPFDocument doc = new XWPFDocument();

        XWPFTable xtab = doc.createTable();

        assertEquals(0, xtab.getWidth());
        assertEquals(STTblWidth.AUTO, xtab.getWidthType());

        xtab.setWidth(1000);
        assertEquals(STTblWidth.DXA, xtab.getWidthType());
        assertEquals(1000, xtab.getWidth());

        xtab.setWidth("auto");
        assertEquals(STTblWidth.AUTO, xtab.getWidthType());
        assertEquals(0, xtab.getWidth());
        assertEquals(0.0, xtab.getWidthDecimal(), 0.01);

        xtab.setWidth("999");
        assertEquals(STTblWidth.DXA, xtab.getWidthType());
        assertEquals(999, xtab.getWidth());

        xtab.setWidth("50.5%");
        assertEquals(STTblWidth.PCT, xtab.getWidthType());
        assertEquals(50.5, xtab.getWidthDecimal(), 0.01);
        assertEquals(50.5, xtab.getCTTbl().getTblPr().getTblW().xgetW().getBigDecimalValue().doubleValue(), 0.01);

Everything passes until the last test, where the value returned by getWidthDecimal() is 50.0, not 50.5.

It looks like the underlying CT class methods always set the value as an integer, even when using CTTblWidth.setBigDecimalValue():

        } else if (widthValue.matches("[0-9]+(\\.[0-9]+)?%")) {
            String numericPart = widthValue.substring(0, widthValue.length() - 1);
            STDecimalNumber number = STDecimalNumber.Factory.newInstance();
            number.setBigDecimalValue(new BigDecimal(numericPart));
            ctWidth.xsetW(number);
            ctWidth.setType(STTblWidth.PCT);

Debugging through this code I see that the @w:val attribute is "50" rather than "50.5" after the xsetW() method call.

This appears to be happening at a very low level.

Is there a way to fix this so that percentages can be decimals or have I misunderstood the specs and percentages should actually always be integers (although I'm pretty sure the spec allows fractional percentages).

Thanks,

Eliot
--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

On 8/15/18, 3:40 PM, "Eliot Kimber" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    I need to extend the options for setting table widths.

    Per the spec, a table's width can be an absolute measurement, a percentage value, or the keyword "auto".

    Right now XWPFTable.setWidth() only takes an integer.

    I'd like to extend it to take in addition a percentage value or the value "auto" (which I suppose conceptually is an enumeration with one possible value).

    There doesn't seem to be a class that represents a percentage value (at least I couldn't find any declarations with the string "perc" in them.

    Am I missing something for working with percentage values in the XWPF API?

    Thanks,

    E.

    --
    Eliot Kimber
    http://contrext.com

Re: General Support for Percentage Values?

Eliot Kimber
If I manually set the @w:w value to the percentage string then I can get back the percentage and convert it to a double when the width type is set to percentage.

But I think there really needs to be a method on CTTblWidth that can return an STPercentage, parallel to xgetWidth(), which returns a BigDecimal.

Cheers,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

On 8/15/18, 5:39 PM, "Eliot Kimber" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

pj.fanning
How about adding `void setWidthType(TableWidthType widthType)` and
`TableWidthType getWidthType()`?

TableWidthType would be a new Enum Type that supports the values on
STTblWidth.Enum.

 NIL, PCT, DXA, AUTO

We don't like to expose the XMLBeans generated classes in our public API.

RE: General Support for Percentage Values?

Murphy, Mark
According to the spec, w:val is always an integer value. What that integer represents depends on the w:type value. If w:type="auto" then it appears that w:val=0, or may even be ignored, but that will depend on the table width algorithm. I didn't look at that just now, it is very complex.

If w:type="dxa" then w:val is an integer that represents 20ths of a point. In that case I would take the value you specify in setCellWidth and multiply by 20 to get the integer for val (don't make the user provide val in 20ths of a point).

If w:type="pct" then w:val is an integer that represents 50ths of a point. In that case I would take the value specified in setCellWidth and multiply by 50 to get the integer for w:val (again don't make the user provide val in 50ths of a percent).

getCellWidth will have to honor these conventions as well. To retrieve cell width in points, you will have to divide w:val by 20, and to retrieve cell widths in percents, you will have to divide by 50. Note, there is no real way to convert between points and percent.

Re: General Support for Percentage Values?

Eliot Kimber
I'm reading section 17.4.88 Table Measurement (CT_TblWidth), which shows this example:

<… w:type="pct" w:w="100%"/>

And which refers to 17.18.107 ST_MeasurementOrPercent (Measurement or Percentage Value) as the definition of the @w:w attribute.

It says it's a union of two types: ST_DecimalNumberOrPercent and ST_UniversalMeasure.  ST_DecimalNumberOrPercent then says it's a union of ST_Percentage, 22.9.2.9 ST_Percentage (Percentage Value with Sign), which has this example:

<w:tcW w:type="pct" w:w="33.3%" />

I tried some experiements and if I modify the XML for my table to e.g.:

<w:tblW w:type="pct" w:w="50%"/>

And open it, Word correctly reflects the 50% width BUT when I save from Word the @w:w value is set to 2500 (50 * 50).

So clearly Word prefers to store things as integers, which makes sense, but it will read the % string value as defined in the spec.

I'm curious--what part of the spec are you reading that indicates that value is always an integer? I'm not doubting that it says that, but I didn't get to that part of the spec starting from the definitions for table width.

But this does suggest that my code that lets you set and get the table width (and the table cell widths, as you indicate, which I also need) is appropriate, in that it conforms to the spec, works with Word, and provides the convenience of allowing direct specific of the literal decimal percentage strings to .setWidth().

At the same time, there's no reason not to have the POI code do the percentage-to-integer conversion when it sets the @w:w value.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

On 8/16/18, 8:42 AM, "Murphy, Mark" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Which version of the spec are you reading? We are using Version 1. Though we sometimes deal with later version artifacts, the CT and ST classes are all version 1.

Re: General Support for Percentage Values?

Eliot Kimber
I'm using ECMA-376 3rd Edition / June 2011, Office Open XML File Formats – Part 1

Although it looks like there's a 5th edition from 2015. I'll get that one:

https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm

Cheers,

E.
--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

On 8/16/18, 10:55 AM, "Murphy, Mark" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Which version of the spec are you reading? We are using Version 1. Though we sometimes deal with later version artifacts, the CT and ST classes are all version 1.

Re: General Support for Percentage Values?

Mark Murphy
Use 1st edition, part 4. The CT classes were all generated from the 1st
edition schema.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Eliot Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using ECMA-376 3rd Edition / June 2011, Office Open XML File Formats –
> Part 1
>
> Although it looks like there's a 5th edition from 2015. I'll get that one:
>
> https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm
>
> Cheers,
>
> E.
> --
> Eliot Kimber
> http://contrext.com
>

> On 8/16/18, 10:55 AM, "Murphy, Mark" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Which version of the spec are you reading? We are using Version 1.
> Though we sometimes deal with later version artifacts, the CT and ST
> classes are all version 1.

Shouldn't we be reflecting the latest schemas?

Cheers,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

On 8/16/18, 11:25 AM, "Mark Murphy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Use 1st edition, part 4. The CT classes were all generated from the 1st
    edition schema.

    On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Eliot Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > I'm using ECMA-376 3rd Edition / June 2011, Office Open XML File Formats –
    > Part 1
    >
    > Although it looks like there's a 5th edition from 2015. I'll get that one:
    >
    > https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > E.
    > --
    > Eliot Kimber
    > http://contrext.com
    >
    >
    > On 8/16/18, 10:55 AM, "Murphy, Mark" <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >     Which version of the spec are you reading? We are using Version 1.
    > Though we sometimes deal with later version artifacts, the CT and ST
    > classes are all version 1.

There is a significant difference, and since the schemas are so tightly
integrated, that will be a lot of work. Someone tried at one time, and gave
up because it was too big a job. I am working on an alternative method that
will model the document in POJOs, and use readers and writers to read and
write the stored documents. This will remove that coupling, and allow us to
more easily upgrade the schema, but that is still in the beginning stage,
and is a real departure from how POI works.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:38 PM Eliot Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Shouldn't we be reflecting the latest schemas?
>
> Cheers,
>
> E.
>
> --
> Eliot Kimber
> http://contrext.com
>

> On 8/16/18, 11:25 AM, "Mark Murphy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Use 1st edition, part 4. The CT classes were all generated from the 1st
>     edition schema.
>
>     On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Eliot Kimber <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     > I'm using ECMA-376 3rd Edition / June 2011, Office Open XML File
> Formats –
>     > Part 1
>     >
>     > Although it looks like there's a 5th edition from 2015. I'll get
> that one:
>     >
>     >
> https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm
>     >
>     > Cheers,
>     >
>     > E.
>     > --
>     > Eliot Kimber
>     > http://contrext.com
>     >
>     >
>     > On 8/16/18, 10:55 AM, "Murphy, Mark" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Which version of the spec are you reading? We are using Version
> 1.
>     > Though we sometimes deal with later version artifacts, the CT and ST
>     > classes are all version 1.
>     >

Makes sense--I figured it was something like that.

Cheers,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber