Eclipse / Intellij project files

kiwiwings
Hi Devs,

currently we have Eclipse project files in the trunk and svn-ignored IntelliJs ones.

A) Would it make sense to also include Intellijs settings?

Pro:

- We could set code format styles.
    I once worked in a $dayjob project where each source was auto-formatted.
    A few formatting cases looked ugly, but the code style looked uniformly.

- I've corrupted my local project files recently when adding the gradle build.
   So we would have at least a last good known setting.

Con:

- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14558450/why-ide-specific-project-files-are-ignored-in-git

- having the gradle build as a base maybe makes manual configuration unnecessary

B) If we decide to not include IntelliJ file, is it ok, if I also remove/ignore Eclipse project files?
... as the would need to be updated for each new dependency

AW: Eclipse / Intellij project files

Axel Howind
Hi,

I usually don’t like to have IDE specific project files in version control and instead having maven or (better) gradle build files only. So I’d vote for B).

As for the code style: has anyone tried .editorconfig? Alternatively, how about using a gradle/maven plugin like Spotless for formatting, so that would be independent of the IDE.

Another con IMHO is that not only the build files have to be updated for dependencies, but also the project files, and to avoid having outdated project files in VCS, everyone would then have to use both IDEs to be able to update the project files.

Axel