Dependency management when using poi-ooxml

Dependency management when using poi-ooxml

Sayak Mukhopadhyay
Hello
I am trimming an existing project and I saw that it depends on both poi and poi-ooxml. But, poi-ooxml has a dependency on poi itself. I was also looking online and found this answer on SO https://stackoverflow.com/a/60350527/5863472 which seems to suggest that depending on poi is explicitly needed for backwards compatibility. Is that true? Can't I just depend on poi-ooxml and use poi only features too since it would be in the classpath anyway?
Regards
Sayak

Re: Dependency management when using poi-ooxml

Dominik Stadler
At least with current versions only depending on "poi-ooxml" should be
enough, although adding the 2nd depenency on "poi" will not hurt.

Dominik