[DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans

Dominik Stadler
Hi,

the initial discussion showed a few possible routes. I would like to
discuss the options a bit more, probably followed by a vote to see which
option has the majority.

I currently see the following possibilities:

a) Fork XMLBeans with a different name outside of Apache and upload a fixed
version, just like PJ already did, only some more renaming would probably
be necessary

b) Include the source of XMLBeans with POI and release fixes from there

c) As b), but change the code so different package names and jar-names are
used to avoid colliding with the "official" version

d) Do nothing with XMLBeans and invest all the time for replacing XMLBeans
soon

Any thoughts? Other options?

Thanks... Dominik.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans

Dave Fisher-5
Hi

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 1:01 PM, Dominik Stadler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> the initial discussion showed a few possible routes. I would like to
> discuss the options a bit more, probably followed by a vote to see which
> option has the majority.
>
> I currently see the following possibilities:
>
> a) Fork XMLBeans with a different name outside of Apache and upload a fixed
> version, just like PJ already did, only some more renaming would probably
> be necessary
>
> b) Include the source of XMLBeans with POI and release fixes from there
>
> c) As b), but change the code so different package names and jar-names are
> used to avoid colliding with the "official" version
>
> d) Do nothing with XMLBeans and invest all the time for replacing XMLBeans
> soon

e) take XMLBeans out of the attic. Fix the bugs and make maintenance releases as 2.7, 2.8, etc. This would be an official version. Probably needs a board resolution.

>
> Any thoughts? Other options?
>
> Thanks... Dominik.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans

kiwiwings
In reply to this post by Dominik Stadler
Hi,

I would prefer c) but keeping the package names and only change the artifact groupid,
to keep it's proprietary usage for POI. So we don't need to care to build up a xmlbeans
community again.

I think d) is a longterm goal - to simulate xmlbeans xml infoset preservation plus
support various ECMA versions plus handling alternate content blocks correctly
will be a challenge in a brown field context.
Therefore we should first fix xmlbeans.

Andi


On 11/9/17 10:01 PM, Dominik Stadler wrote:
Hi,

the initial discussion showed a few possible routes. I would like to
discuss the options a bit more, probably followed by a vote to see which
option has the majority.

I currently see the following possibilities:

a) Fork XMLBeans with a different name outside of Apache and upload a fixed
version, just like PJ already did, only some more renaming would probably
be necessary

b) Include the source of XMLBeans with POI and release fixes from there

c) As b), but change the code so different package names and jar-names are
used to avoid colliding with the "official" version

d) Do nothing with XMLBeans and invest all the time for replacing XMLBeans
soon

Any thoughts? Other options?

Thanks... Dominik.



signature.asc (495 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans

Javen O'Neal-2
Dave Fisher's (e) seems like the best fix to me. Not everyone needs the
XMLBeans fixes, so we shouldn't force it on them in order to update to the
latest version of POI.

Changing the java package name from org.apache.xmlbeans would break
compatibility with XMLBeans 2.3.0 and 2.6.0, as well as any private forks
people maintain that use the org.apache.xmlbeans package namespace.

If the board is open to it, the least effort solution is to commit the
changes to XMLBeans's repo l, make a release, and update the website
without pulling it out of the Attic. If we can't get around the Apache's
policies requiring non-Attic status to commit or release, then we could
pull XMLBeans out of the Attic just long enough to form a PMC, commit,
release, vote, and update website, then put it back into the attic.

I don't see the changes we need to make to XMLBeans as specific to POI--the
same bugs would affect other projects running on Android. We aren't aware
of what those other projects might be. I don't think that's enough reason
to make a POI-specific XMLBeans release or to copy the source tree inside
of POI.

I haven't had any issues using POI with XMLBeans for my applications, so my
opinions probably don't hold as much weight as those who have been affected
by the bugs.

On Nov 9, 2017 15:43, "Andreas Beeker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I would prefer c) but keeping the package names and only change the
artifact groupid,
to keep it's proprietary usage for POI. So we don't need to care to build
up a xmlbeans
community again.

I think d) is a longterm goal - to simulate xmlbeans xml infoset
preservation plus
support various ECMA versions plus handling alternate content blocks
correctly
will be a challenge in a brown field context.
Therefore we should first fix xmlbeans.

Andi


On 11/9/17 10:01 PM, Dominik Stadler wrote:

Hi,

the initial discussion showed a few possible routes. I would like to
discuss the options a bit more, probably followed by a vote to see which
option has the majority.

I currently see the following possibilities:

a) Fork XMLBeans with a different name outside of Apache and upload a fixed
version, just like PJ already did, only some more renaming would probably
be necessary

b) Include the source of XMLBeans with POI and release fixes from there

c) As b), but change the code so different package names and jar-names are
used to avoid colliding with the "official" version

d) Do nothing with XMLBeans and invest all the time for replacing XMLBeans
soon

Any thoughts? Other options?

Thanks... Dominik.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans

Nick Burch-2
In reply to this post by Dave Fisher-5
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, Dave Fisher wrote:
> e) take XMLBeans out of the attic. Fix the bugs and make maintenance
> releases as 2.7, 2.8, etc. This would be an official version. Probably
> needs a board resolution.

I think it might be enough for the Attic PMC to vote with 3 +1s to
transfer the responsibilities over to us. Probably best to ask them
though!

Nick

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans

pj.fanning
I'm happy to work on e) if we do need committers.

My view is that we can move away from xmlbeans over time but that it is
useful to maintain it in the interim.

I don't know if we've formed an opinion on whether to continue with the
research into using JAXB but my gut feeling is that we will probably be
better moving away from Java Binding and to use lower level XML parsing and
writing code (big and all as this task is). The issue with supporting Strict
OOXML files would probably not be made any easier to solve if we used JAXB
(not that this issue seems to be causing to much bugzilla traffic).



--
Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]