Concatenating, Indexing, and Copying a document to the end of another

Concatenating, Indexing, and Copying a document to the end of another

Tony Arriaza-Gonzalez
Hello,

While I was interning I was asked to develop software that would
Concatenate hundreds of documents and index them. I managed to do this
using Apache POI, I would like to submit a lot of this code to be added to
the POI library as it would allow developers to copy an entire word
document to another, as well as to index documents that are copied together.

Here is a link to the classes I developed that I've put on GitHub.

https://github.com/tonyarriaza/WordDocumentConcatenator

I would love feedback and help in integrating this code that I am really
proud of to the Apache POI project.

Thank you,
Tony

Re: Concatenating, Indexing, and Copying a document to the end of another

pj.fanning
My personal opinion is that I'd prefer not to add this to the POI core. It is
quite possible to have a community where people have side projects that use
the core code. The core POI code is already very large and we only have a
small number of volunteers to maintain it.

If we were to add this code to POI core, it would need samples, unit tests
and the code would need to be formatted and follow Java coding standards -
for instance, your code has some classes with names that start with
lowercase letters and parameter names that start with capital letters.

--
Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html

Re: Concatenating, Indexing, and Copying a document to the end of another

Mark Murphy
In addition, if you were paid to develop the software, it likely belongs to
the company that paid you, and you would need to get a signed release to
open source it. The Apache foundation is particularly touchy about this.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 5:30 AM pj.fanning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My personal opinion is that I'd prefer not to add this to the POI core. It
> is
> quite possible to have a community where people have side projects that use
> the core code. The core POI code is already very large and we only have a
> small number of volunteers to maintain it.
>
> If we were to add this code to POI core, it would need samples, unit tests
> and the code would need to be formatted and follow Java coding standards -
> for instance, your code has some classes with names that start with
> lowercase letters and parameter names that start with capital letters.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html

Re: Concatenating, Indexing, and Copying a document to the end of another

David Fisher-6
Hi -

Assuming the OP has the rights this could be refactored into an example. I don’t think we require a full set of unit tests for an example.

Regards,
Dave