Any Idea Why Word Does not Preserve Leading or Trailing Space?

Any Idea Why Word Does not Preserve Leading or Trailing Space?

Eliot Kimber
In the DOCX I'm generating I have this pair of runs:

<w:r><w:t>If an applicant under subsection</w:t></w:r><w:r><w:t xml:space="preserve"> 38-79</w:t></w:r>

Notice the leading space in the second run (" 38-79").

When I view this with Word for Mac (16.16) the space is not rendered.

This seems like a bug, especially since space is preserve on the w:t element.

Any idea why Word behaves this way and if there's a way to avoid it (other than merging the two runs, which in this case have the same properties)?

This is DOCX being generated from XML source where the runs reflect separate source nodes (in this case a text node and then an inline element).

Thanks,

Eliot
--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

RE: Any Idea Why Word Does not Preserve Leading or Trailing Space?

Murphy, Mark
Maybe the space is preserved only at the end of the text in the node?

Re: Any Idea Why Word Does not Preserve Leading or Trailing Space?

Eliot Kimber
I tried putting the space as the end of the preceding run and it also got removed, so either my test is bad or something else is going on.

I can enhance my generation process to combine runs that have the same properties but that's annoying and adds processing time.

Cheers,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

On 8/16/18, 8:46 AM, "Murphy, Mark" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Maybe the space is preserved only at the end of the text in the node?

Re: Any Idea Why Word Does not Preserve Leading or Trailing Space?

Greg Woolsey
If you manually add the space in Word for Mac, where it isn't being
rendered when already present in the source, and save it, what does the
resulting XML look like?  Does Word then merge the runs, escape it somehow,
or something else?