The most notable changes in this release are:
- dependency updates to XMLBeans 3.0.2 / Bouncycastle 1.60
- XSSF: import chart on drawing
- XDDF: Define XDDF user model for text body, its paragraphs and text runs
- OPC: fixes on the newly introduced commons compress usage
A full list of changes is available in the change log: https://poi.apache.org/changes.html.
People interested should also follow the dev mailing list to track further progress.
This release comes in two forms:
- pre-built binaries containing compiled versions of all Apache POI components and documentation
(poi-bin-4.0.1-20181203.zip or poi-bin-4.0.1-20181203.tar.gz)
- source archive you can build POI from (poi-src-4.0.1-20181203.zip or poi-src-4.0.1-20181203.tar.gz)
Unpack the archive and use the following command to build all POI components with Apache Ant 1.8+ and JDK 1.8 or higher:
Pre-built versions of all POI components are also available in the central Maven repository
under Group ID "org.apache.poi" and Version "4.0.1"
Apache POI is well-known in the Java field as a library for reading and
writing Microsoft Office file formats, such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word,
Visio, Publisher and Outlook. It supports both the older (OLE2) and
new (OOXML - Office Open XML) formats.