Note: The Apache Software Foundation uses an extensive mirroring network for
distributing releases. It is possible that the mirror you are using may not
have replicated the release yet. If that is the case, please try another mirror.
This also goes for Maven access.
The most notable changes in this release are:
- Various modules: add sanity checks and fix infinite loops / OOMs caused by fuzzed data
- OPC: fix linebreak handling on XML signature calculation (#61182)
- SS Common: fix number formatting (github-43/52, #60422)
- SXSSF: fix XML processing - unicode surrogates and line breaks (#61048, #61246)
POI 3.17 is the last release to support Java 6.
The next release will be 4.0.0 and supports min. Java 8.
People interested should also follow the dev mailing list to track further progress.
This release comes in two forms:
- pre-built binaries containing compiled versions of all Apache POI components and documentation
(poi-bin-3.17-20170915.zip or poi-bin-3.17-20170915.tar.gz)
- source archive you can build POI from
(poi-src-3.17-20170915.zip or poi-src-3.17-20170915.tar.gz)
Unpack the archive and use the following command to build all POI components with
Apache Ant 1.8+ and JDK 1.6 or higher:
Pre-built versions of all POI components are also available in the central Maven repository
under Group ID "org.apache.poi" and Version "3.17"
Apache POI is well-known in the Java field as a library for reading and
writing Microsoft Office file formats, such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word,
Visio, Publisher and Outlook. It supports both the older (OLE2) and
new (OOXML - Office Open XML) formats.